It has been a long time since I posted a blog! I had an idea to review some books I have read, but I got so into reading that I neglected to review any. I was recently asked to review a new book (it came out on Aug. 7], & was provided the book by the publisher, Zondervan. They asked that I be honest with my review. So here goes:
The book is A Light So Lovely by Sarah Arthur, & the subtitle is “The Spiritual Legacy of Madeleine L’Engle.” Madeleine was a prolific writer & was well known for her books, A Wrinkle In Time & Walking on Water.
I love to read & have a pretty wide variety of genres that are interesting to me. I am not an intellectual, nor a deep thinker type. There are nine glowing reviews at the beginning of the book. The flap of the book says, “A vibrant, immatinative read, this book pulls back the curtain to illuminate L’Engle’s creative journey, her persevering faith, & the inspiring, often unexpected ways these two forces converged.”
I was ready to read! Honestly I felt like a college student trying to plow through an intellectual book for an assignment. My husband commented that he had never seen me take so long to read a book (& it wa only 204 pages, 7 chapters!). As I read, I questioned some, underlined, made notes in the margins, & turned corners back to reread some pages. As she wrote many YA (young adult) books, she was ahead of her time in recognizing that women had intellect & much to offer. Her life story was complex & interesting. By the end of chapter 6 I was glad there was only one more chapter...
But chapter 7 was, for me, the icing on the cake.
One;” she believed in the existence of evil & recognized that evil sometimes appears under the guise of good.” “In Walking on Water Madeleine wrote, ‘How many of us call the devil by name today?’”
Because there are so many wonderful nuggets in chapter 7, I will continue my review in upcoming blog posts!
No comments:
Post a Comment