Thursday, February 9, 2012

Here We Go!

I've left my book on the shelf and my Kindle in its case today.... But enjoying "life experiences" always tops even reading for me.  I got to spend the whole day with my almost (in less than two weeks) 11 year old granddaughter!  We did some pretty exciting things: went to Costco (she'd never been before) and tasted all their samples, went to Trader Joe's (and bought some things that she doesn't usually get to partake for her to take home to share with her family), went to Tropical Smoothie for a late lunch (had the WHOLE place to ourselves... that's what a 2:30 lunch gives you, but after all our "appetizers" at Costco we were just then getting hungry), went into Tuesday Morning for a quick pick up, and made a quick stop at Kroger's.  Yes, I think we have all the groceries I'll need for awhile!  But the best part was having no interruptions on our conversation, laughing giggling, taking our time with no rush, and having each other all to ourselves.  PRECIOUS!


So back to the books: on my Kindle I have 6 audio books (waiting in line for me to listen to); 38 archived items (some to delete because of inappropriate language, some to put in the finished collection because when I finished them I didn't yet know how to start a collection....), 44 that are waiting to be read, and 32 in my finished collection.  Before you get all "impressed"... several are what I call "fluff" reading; romantic/mystery/relaxing, but with a Christian influence.  Then there's a cook book, two "organizing" books (everyone who really knows me knows I need to put those at the top of my list!), 2 Bibles, 17 non-fiction, 2 dictionaries (not sure why I'd need 2...) a devotional, and a sample.  I recently signed on to receive daily updates from "Inspiredreads.com" and anything that looks like something I might want to read goes onto my Kindle.  I can (and do) delete them later if I don't want to read them.
Waiting on the bookshelf is The Twelfth Imam and coming in the mail soon is The Harbinger (our book for March book club.)


The best book I've read over the past year (other than the Bible): Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  The life of Louis Zamperini, Olympic runner, bombardier, crash survivor, & POW held me spellbound (once I really got into it) and left an impression on me like no other.  I learned things about history that I never knew before.  I held my breath at times, waiting for what would happen next.  I finished the book wishing I had met Mr. Zamperini, who is nearly 90 years old.  Up until last Nov. he was still traveling the country for speaking engagements.  "He has already been the subject of a 60 Minutes documentary, represented his country in the Olympics, survived wartime military service and prison camp, and lived to tell about more than one brush with death." (www.americainwwii.com)


So there's my first recommendation with many more to come.  Now it's your turn... what have you been reading?

2 comments:

Kellie said...

I have been reading Rift in Time by Michael Phillips and now I am reading the sequel to that called Hidden in Time. They are both excellent and have gotten me thinking in areas of different biblical ideas. I have also read some of Karen Kingsbury's books this winter. Michael Phillips is a deep thinking writer so it takes me a while to get through his books. lol :)

Did I tell you that I missed you???

truth in weakness said...

thx for sharing -- unbroken does sound good. and my hat's off to you big time for your diverse selection b/c i pretty much only enjoy christian growth books & don't branch out of that. (but hey, that's a huge improvement from a child who had a total aversion to reading of any sort!!)

and b/c my list of books i want to read is always a long one, i'm usually delving into several books at once. and totally embracing the freedom to not finish -- i figure God will lead me to what He wants me to read when, & His power isn't dependent on my reading every single page.

so . . . here are the ones i've been enjoying:
- bold love (and no, the title doesn't do it one bit of justice. by far one of the most challenging books i've read on relationships. has challenged my thinking in patterns/areas that i never gave 2nd though to -- & i'm pretty introspective!)
- the complete green letters (oh. MY!! i told R it's one of the meatiest books i've ever read in terms of cross-centered truths. M.E.A.T!!)
- recently started grace for the good girl
- and just rec'd tozer's knowledge of the holy as a surprise in the mail today from my sister (isn't that so sweet??)

and the one that has been at the top of my "MUST READ SOON!!" list is Jesus calling. i receive brief excerpts on FB & wow. food for the soul for sure.

thx for sharing -- keep it comin'!