Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Reading Between the Lines

My blogging has been on hiatus (once again) and I don't really have a reason other than that I have returned to a true love: reading.  When I was a little girl I was thrilled when I got my first library card!  The closest library branch was in the basement of what would one day become my junior high school.  So not only did I get to go the library alone (back in the days when children could actually walk a long distance and not have parents be duly alarmed by it), but I got to go into THE JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL!  Later on I got to ride the city bus downtown to the MAIN library and stay until my daddy got off work (a few blocks away), then walk to the main post office where he worked and ride home with him.

I can remember times when I was supposed to be cleaning my room and I would be hiding behind the open closet door devouring a book until I heard my mother's footsteps coming my way, at which time I would hide the book and begin ferociously picking up strewn clothing.

I barely passed one college exam because I stayed up most of the night reading.... not class materials but a huge novel that had enveloped my penchant for reading.

So although we have had a mild winter, it still has been cold enough to keep me inside... with my books and my Kindle.  I am not opposed to either: I still like to turn pages, but I also like the convenience of the Kindle.  My reading preferences vary (as long as it doesn't have filthy language... I've deleted more than one book from my Kindle when I had only read a few pages).  Joining a group of ladies in a book club about a year ago has certainly broadened my scope of reading choices: some I have really enjoyed, some not so much, and a couple I chose not to read.

So.... since I've spent all this time reading instead of blogging, I thought I'd recommend a few good books, do a couple of "mini" reviews, and do a couple of book give-aways.  I'll also be looking for suggestions from you to leave in my comments section!

Here's hoping I still have some blog followers... and that you'll enjoy this little journey.

4 comments:

truth in weakness said...

YAY!! welcome back!! i've been checking just about every day anxiously awaiting your return. ;) but there's nothing quite like a good book, is there?!

i love the idea of your sharing what good books you're reading! and i'd be happy to chime in with some of the incredible ones i've been chewing on lately.

so great to have you back in the blogosphere!! :)

tarajj said...

I was hoping to find out what you had been reading. I love to read a book or e-book on my nook. I love Christian Fictian/romance. My friend loans me books and they often have a coffee, dessert theme.

Kellie said...

I have MISSED you! Glad you have enjoyed some time reading. I have been doing more of that myself. Hugs to you, my friend!

Joy for the Seasons said...

There's a little girl in this house that gets in trouble for reading when she is expected to be doing other things. Deep inside though it makes this mama smile. :)