Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Kindred Spirits

My brain has been on "blog hiatus" for the last 6 months...  I've read a lot of books, but have given up on the book reviews for now.  I was ready for something fun, and a recent trip out west gave me just the material I needed.  I have over 800 pictures from a wonderful trip (no, I won't bore you with all of them).  I plan to share some of our adventures on future blogs, but I have one that I just have to start out with.

I have enjoyed "getting to know" new friends through blogging over the last couple of years and know a few because they are friends IRL (that's "in real life" for those of you who may not know all the lingo... it took me awhile & I'm sure there are still many I don't know.)  But a few weeks ago I realized I would be in the far away state of a blogger I have followed long enough that I felt I already knew her.  I also play WordsWithFriends with her nearly every day.  Then I realized she lived in the same city of some friends we would visit, & that we would come through that town twice!  My excitement began to build, & we messaged each other back & forth to see if a meeting would work out.  We eventually set up a place, a date, and a time to meet.  As the time approached I began to have those middle school little "doubts" like, "will she like me?" "will we find something to talk about?" "will we have enough in common (I am old enough to be her mother!)?"

Well, after a 3 hour lunch my doubts were gone!  Like middle school girls, we looked at the photo (taken by my wonderful hubby who dropped me off & went off until I called him to come back) & she said, "I look old," while I said, "Wow, I need to lose weight!"
But what a wonderful time we had and I really feel like Mer is a dear friend now!  As we shared all the wonderful things God has done & is doing in our lives, He just gave me a love for this dear sister in Christ.  Though many miles separate us, though we are of a different generation, though we had never met until that day, though we are at very different stages in life, the immediate connection we made knowing that our lives are in God's hands made us kindred spirits.  What a special gift that day was!

3 comments:

truth in weakness said...

YAY! it is SO good to have you BACK!

i am so happy for you, sandy. and i can completely relate to (or at least imagine) how exciting this was, b/c i have a dear blogger friend like this, too. we've never met, but we were both immediately drawn to each other's friendship, & have continued to enjoy walking through life together, even if just in the blogosphere. we've both said numerous times what a thrill it would be to meet ea. other in person (she's in auburn), & only recently did the thought occur to me to actually PRAY about that. (so novel, i know.) ;)

thx so much for sharing. and i'm going to send this post to my blogger friend as a "thinking of you." :)
- tanya

Kimberly said...

So glad to have you back!! I've missed the little snippet's from home.

Kellie said...

I am trying to catch up on all of the blogs I have missed the last few months.... How neat that you got to meet a blogging friend! The Lord is a strong connection and can cause new friends to seem like old friends in a matter of seconds. So glad you had that opportunity. :)