When we built our house "out in the sticks" nine years ago, it was so worth it because we were building next door to our daughter & son-in-love (and our two granddaughters)! We practically duplicated the house we'd built 5 years before, because we liked everything about it. The side bonus this time was that we put in the pool that I had always wanted. Not only did I want it to enjoy, but I knew it would be a good "drawing point" for our grandchildren & their friends. And we have SO many great memories of our times in the pool.
They added a boy and a dog to their family, and we had the joy of having a close relationship with all of them.
The first few years I had a recurring "nightmare" that was infrequent, but nevertheless, recurring: it was that I walked to my mailbox and saw a "For Sale" sign in their front yard. My sweet daughter would laugh when I'd tell her about it, and say, "Stop worrying about that! We're here to stay." Eventually I stopped having that dream...
But now it has become reality. My "nightmare" has become their dream....
I should have seen it coming when these ladies moved into their family:
And then these ladies joined them....
And then this gentleman joined them (though they were guaranteed that all were females... when he "found" his voice we all knew better!)
And then there was talk of wanting goats...
And the 4-wheeler track behind the two houses seemed too small...
But I didn't see it coming... and I'm struggling with it. I cherish all the wonderful memories we have, I cherish the relationships we've been able to establish with our 3 grandchildren, I've loved having at least one of them just "drop in" every other day or so, I've loved having a "neighbor" I can borrow/loan sugar from/to, I've loved watching out my bedroom window as the 3 children frolic outside playing "Little House on the Prairie," I've loved being allowed to be part of their (all 5) lives.
So I am trying really hard to be happy for them as they embark on their dream of having more land (and animals). I'm trying really hard to see my nightmare become their dream in a positive light.
I know I have been very blessed to have them so close for 9 years when so many grandparents live across the country from their grandchildren. And I know I'll still have them in the same area. But I also know it will never be the same as having them able to walk across the yard & pop in for a little conversation, a few hugs & smiles, and affirmation. So I'm choosing (moment by moment, because it does not come easily or naturally) to look for the good in this and trust that God will bring good out of it for all of us, (pardon the tears...)
And I'm choosing to try to be positive about their dream, because these relationships are precious to me.
My strength is in the Lord and His promises:
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
When I took this as my life verse many years ago, I trusted... Today I still trust!






6 comments:
Oh, Sandy!! That makes my heart drop, too!! My prayers are with you. Wish I could give you a hug right now!!!!!!!
Do you know how many families DREAM of having neighbors like you? Tell your dear daughter to send us the MLS link. :-)
Really sorry for you, though...but will you follow them?
I didn't write this to get sympathy, but rather to tell of God's sovereignty & to be "real", sharing that the struggles that all of us go through are often battles to be fought over & over again (I had "given" this to God several times, then realize I must have taken it back because I need to give it to Him again...) Another passage that keeps coming to me is, "My ways are not your ways." If I had my way in every situation, I know I'd make a mess of things!
Thanks for the encouragement Kellie & Sherri!
I can't wait to see how God uses this for His glory. I have the feeling that He has HUGE plans!
Praying for you!
Oh, I cannot begin to imagine how difficult this is and can so easily understand why you've "picked it back up" praying for you!!!
One positive - maybe this will mean more overnight visits from the kids! Who wants to drive back home at night? :)
I'll start praying now that one of them does not decide to move to Ohio...why would anyone do that to their Mimi???
Post a Comment