What do 6 "old" friends (all over 60) do when they get together for some fun time in the mountains? Why they head out to Burnt Hill Stables for a ride! Yep, our annual horse ride... to see the awesome mountain top views in the fall. How often do we "ride"? What does "annual" mean?... Yep, ONCE A YEAR for one hour. I always tell them at the stables that we are a bunch of old people who don't know how to ride & we want their slowest "nags". I have to admit that this year was the most challenging for me... my horse wanted to either trot/cantor/gallop (I don't know the differences...) or plod along so slowly that we couldn't keep up with the rest of the group. At one point I told the guide behind me (bringing up the rear... literally), "You'd think I weighed 450 lbs. instead of 125!"
As he took off galloping during one of his spurts of energy,I almost came off the horse (horrors!!! the thought of ending up on the ground... & walking all the way back, because regardless of the saying, there was no way I'd be getting back ON a horse if I fell OFF it!!) Another time he bent his head all the way to the ground & I nearly went over the top of him.
When we topped the highest ridge, the views were SPECTACULAR!!! Another glimpse of God's mighty creative power in nature! To get to the top of the ridge, we went up some REALLY steep hills... & to get down, we went down some REALLY steep hills. Was I praying all the way? YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE IT!
Was I glad I went? Oh, yes! Will I be going again this time next year? Let's see how great my memory is by then....
3 comments:
I think you'll make it nest year!
SAM
How FUN! I used to ride all the time..I really miss it. I took my oldest for her very first horseback ride at the Biltmore. The views were simply gorgeous..just like your photos!
Hope to see you tomorrow!
If we are invited back next year, we will ride! Find some other "fix-its" for us, b/c you know my hubby loves problem solving and we want his creative juices to keep a going! We had a wonderful time, even sloshing through the muck around Julian Price and especially enjoyed learning to play Spike and Alice. God knew that we would need to have others to encourage us along life's way and we are so blessed to be with 4 of His best! Love you both, Dixie
Post a Comment