Thursday, March 24, 2011

Who's That Singing?

Tuesday I heard a bird singing loudly & beautifully.  I thought it might be the mocking birds returning to terrorize us their nest from last year, because it seemed this bird was singing several different songs.  I dug around in a drawer to find grabbed the binoculars & headed the direction from which I was hearing the songs.
At the top of some very high Leland Cypress trees sat the "singer"... and it was NOT a  mockingbird!  Oh, I was so glad!  Last year they built a nest in a really tall bush right near our grill, & first they were noisy: then when the "young" (which grow to full size very quickly!) left the nest, they hung out around our back yard & dive bombed swooped at us anytime we were outside.  We were SO glad to see them leave & weren't going to put out the welcome mat for them this year.

But is seems the singer is a Brown Thrasher (upper left corner).  So hopefully if she/he is building a nest nearby, they will be better neighbors than last year's mockingbirds!
The Carolina Wren (who has been around since we first moved in nine years ago, & who I love to hear sing) has built a nest in the gutter right at the back door!  So it should be interesting grilling out there when her young come along...

3 comments:

Kellie said...

I love Brown Thrashers. They are beautiful birds! Enjoy your new friend!!

Gretchen said...

I had my own brown thrasher (well, tan) singing the National Anthem at the top of her lungs for 56 minutes yesterday.

Joy for the Seasons said...

love your bird posts! Our finches nested in our front door wreath, and we had 5 babies, but the wreath fell. All but two died. Hubby tried to scoop them into the nest hoping Mama would come back to them, but she did not. However, it seems the same "couple" is rebuilding a nest in the same spot!