Sunday, May 1, 2011

Strawberry Pickin' Time

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is go to the local strawberry farm & pick those luscious red fruits.  I've missed out on it the last couple of years, so when I got an impromptu invitation to join the family on a picking expedition, I jumped at the offer.  So off we went (with a couple of extra kids...)
The fields were beautiful with huge healthy plants...
So we turned the human garbage disposals kids loose...
And they started picking.... (notice the red stains on the teeth?)
(and on the lips?)
(and probably on the shirt....)
But there were some intense workers...
And some team work...
And we finished pretty quickly... (Don't you LOVE the hair?!  I just got a haircut a couple of weeks ago, but I can tell that he was paying more attention to his conversation with another client than he was to cutting my hair...)
 Now starts the "work"... slicing, bagging, freezing, etc.
This is RED GOLD (when they rang up my purchase I was stunned!)  But the season is short here, so we'll just enjoy...

7 comments:

MEEMAW said...

Hey my friend, where did you go picking? I am needing some for our trip. They look delicious.

Heather said...

red gold?? did it cost a lot? we went on saturday to page farms and thought it was a great deal (around $1 a lb)

Gretchen said...

It's only red gold when you buy over 20 lbs. :)
If you think of all the frozen strawberries you wont be buying over the next year in those expensive little bags, then it's not so bad.

It was the perfect weather ... NOT hot!
Thanks for going with us! Lots of fun memories in those fields!

Amy said...

Beautiful berries! Looks like y'all had a great day!

Learning as we Live said...

YUM!!

Kellie said...

YUM... we need to do some of that. Thankfully, one of our parents at school owns a strawberry farm so we are able to have them brought to us. ha!! I need to get some to make some strawberry jam for a little someone in our house! :)

Joy for the Seasons said...

Oh my, I can almost smell them through your blog! I really missed doing that with my girls this year. Oh well, seasons...right? :)