The delight of spring/summer for me is all the "opportunities" to make things grow & bloom. My family teases me about my love for gardening: Hubby says, "She's happiest with her hands in the dirt." My grandkids ask, "Mimi, are your plants your pets?" (I have a feeling this is a discussion they've heard at home....)
I worked hard trying to get things growing for our very special event this summer, but heat really fought me.
![]() |
| A hanging basket of vinca's added some extra color to the base of the tree... the first thing visible as you come around the corner to our house. |
![]() |
| The crepe myrtle trees & bushes bloomed early this year due to the early onset of extreme heat, so mine wasn't in full bloom. But the ones that line the entrance to our little neighborhood were still beautiful. |
![]() |
| I found this really cute "planter" at the beginning of summer & waited to find just the right spot to place it with just the right flowers... more vinca's! |
Looking toward the back wall where this wispy flower has grown unbelievably this summer! I've tied it up twice, & it is falling over again. The bees & butterflies love it! I love the dainty little pink & white blooms on it.

And then out toward the backyard....

Notice the middle tree that is a little different color? Those are Leyland Cypress trees that are higher than the rooftop & started out 8 years ago at about 5 feet tall. The deer like to go up on the hill behind the trees & bed down. And they rub against the trees... and I think they have killed the one tree. It will have to come down, but I'm so thankful that it "held" until after the party.

But, yep, it's a goner...








5 comments:
I love to read your blogs and see your pictures, it makes me long for "home". The wedding reads like a beautiful love story. Tanya and Tammy worked together and some of the other workers commentted on how she (Tammy) looked familar. Wow, have our lives come a long way, Cory married and Tammy helping set up for his wedding. Love you.~Tara
The benefits of a late summer gala, yes? Discounted flowers! We love Vinca.
Vinca's one of my favorites - I tend to kill it less quickly than the others.
oh i can totally relate to being happy when your hands are in the dirt! the absolute BEST part of my b-day this yr was when N & i potted a petunia that he'd given me for mother's day (finally got it out of the original plastic cup). that was the first time that i've gotten my hands in the dirt since i've been a mom -- & it felt REALLY good. and yes, they are def like a pet in that i can tell that somehow there's a sense of nurturing w/ my plants & flowers. i def bond w/ them -- remember who gave me ea. one, etc. ;)
- TZ
I can vouch for how beautiful your yard looks. It is very evident you spend precious time caring for it. :)
Post a Comment