Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Ride in (Yesteryear) the Country

As I've mentioned, we love to drive in the countryside and what better time of year to do it than now?!

One of my delights in doing this is finding those things of yesteryear...  This is now a junk an antique store but looks just like the original gas station with pump.

One of our favorite places is Phipps General Store which is alive with music every Friday night, and though we've been many times I had never noticed this sign on the front (I think we usually go in the back door...)  I love the sign opposite which says they open on Sunday after church.

Back a few years these were the barns for the dairy farm across from the store.  In honor of the cows, their ice creams are named after some of the cows who lived there at one time.

And out behind the store we came upon this peaceful scene...

See why we love to drive through the country?

4 comments:

truth in weakness said...

wow, that is one RED roof!
and i love the shot of the door w/ the signs, too. such charm.

thx for sharing -- i get so excited every time you post a new update. :)

Sandy said...

Thanks, Tanya for the encouragement!

Unknown said...

So fun Sandy, we love exploring and discovering quaint, fun things like this too. I do remember when my mom used to love to just "take a Sunday drive" - I thought that was so......... "old". I'm there now ........and loving it! :)

Sandy said...

Chris, I think it was a mid-western thing back when there weren't a lot of things to do. We started it in IN when we were in an apartment & it was a good way to get out for awhile.

We found a road last week that we'd never been on & Gretchen said she though we had been on every road in Ashe County. It is a huge county!