Long before "organic" and "natural" were fashionable I was "into" cooking fresh food from scratch. I still rarely buy anything boxed (to make a meal... I don't make my own crackers, etc.!) But when this comes up in conversations I usually hear, "I don't have TIME to do that!" Well, for most things it really doesn't take any more time and not that much more effort, so I thought maybe sharing a spur of the moment recipe would be an encouragement.
The photo is not the best so bear with me here..... We got home from church and I started some water to boil for the whole wheat pasta (I don't really like it as well as the white kind, but I've found that if the sauce is good enough it will cover the taste...) Then I chopped up broccoli, onion, green pepper, and spinach which I dropped into a skillet that had olive oil in it and was warming up while I chopped. I later sprinkled it with garlic salt as I stirred it (think stir fry..) I made a sauce by whisking together a heaping tablespoon of flour, about a cup of milk, and a little bit of chicken broth. When the vegetables were beginning to get tender, I poured the sauce in the skillet and stirred continuously for about a minute or so. Then I sprinkled about 1/2 cup of Feta cheese into the skillet & continued stirring while the sauce thickened (I added about another 1/4 cup of milk) and the cheese melted (threw in a little more Feta, too.) By the time the sauce was ready the pasta was done. So I plated the pasta, dipped on the sauce, and lunch was ready.... in about 20 minutes time from start to finish. About the same amount of time it would take to make a boxed macaroni and cheese! But this was oh, so much better!
Knowing me as he does, hubby asked, "Is this from a recipe or did you make it up?"
Made it up.

2 comments:
LOVE it!!! :) Looks delicious!
OH... and I truly don't mind helping you with a header!! Just give me specifics of what you would want. :)
Thanks, Kellie! I will have to "get it together"....
Post a Comment