Thursday, October 25, 2012

All Things Fall

Seems that everyone loves this time of year, especially those of us who live in areas where there is a definite change of seasons.

I love the "carpet" that suddenly appears under the trees....

Two days ago those little red trees had a green carpet under them...now they have a lovely orange red one.

Our taste runs toward all things apple....
I remembered today a recipe on The Cafe Sucre Farine (if you haven't visited this blog you are missing something!)  Chris has been a friend for many years and is a fabulous chef in her own right (she just finished a week at the NY Culinary Institute).  Every time I've been at something in her home the food is absolutely wonderful and presented in a beautiful way.  So I tried her Apple Pie Muffins...
Her picture is much prettier than mine (see it on her blog) but they are really yummy!  I've tried several of her recipes and it is like Southern Living... never had a failure.

And all things pumpkin....  Our neighbor in the mountains grows pumpkins at the "home place" where they grew up, and look how perfect they are!  They gave me a couple of them to make pies with because there is nothing like pumpkin pie made with fresh pumpkin!  After I tried it last year with her recipe, I knew I was done with canned pumpkin Sorry Libby.  (Why yes, those are rolls rising in the background... the deck is the perfect place for that.)

So the pumpkin is roasted and mashed and ready for pie.

Yes, I did title this "All Things Fall"... So why the blooming cherry tree?  Because she is blooming!  She also blooms in January or February, and then in the spring when most of her sisters do.

4 comments:

truth in weakness said...

dare i admit i didn't know you could make pumpkin pie from, um, pumpkins? ;) so do you cook the pumpkin like you'd cook a squash? (cut into lg chunks, remove the seeds, then scoop it out after it's cooked . . . ?)

Sandy said...

I didn't till last year either when we had THE most delicious pie next door! You buy a " cooking pumpkin" & cut it in half, scoop out the insides, cut each in half again & place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet & bake in the oven till the pulp is soft (about an hour). Then you peel off the skin & mash the pulp (I use my mixer.). Two very small pumpkins made 4 c. Of pulp & it only takes 1 1/2 c. for a pie.
It is so much easier than cutting lots of pieces & boiling!

Gretchen said...

Those muffins look SO yummy!

Kellie said...

I am behind.... wayyyyy behind in reading. Loved seeing all of your fall things. :)