Saturday, November 6, 2010

Backbone Tunnel

On the way back from our biking trip we came across this tunnel that Steve had seen before when he was riding motorcycles with his buddies.  He wanted us to see it because it was so unique.

                          


Around the corner we found this sign:
It is known as the world's shortest tunnel.  It was formed when they blasted through the rock to allow the train to go through.

There is a "walkway" on the top of it...

and when I looked up, there went Debbie up the steps...

before I knew it, there she was at the top!  We had just ridden our bikes for 17 miles & I was tired!  I told Steve that I was too tired to climb all the way up there!  So I was just going to take some pictures...

and I started with pictures of these really neat steps...

Before I knew it, I was taking pictures from the top!

So then it became a group event, since Chip had followed Debbie up there already.  Notice how narrow the top is?  and the lack of rails, fences, barriers, etc.?  Chip does not like heights!  And he doesn't like anyone being near the edge... but I had to get pictures!

Looking down the other side, we saw this little park with a shelter...

and there was another stairway... that at least had a rail to hold onto & real steps.

So we came out on the other side of the tunnel.

It was a long way up there, but so worth it.  Another beautiful taste of autumn!










2 comments:

Joy for the Seasons said...

Beautiful, but I am with Chip! :)

Kellie said...

That is awesome. I must say I would have a hard time being on top without the barriers. lol :)