Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sweet Memories

Thirty something years ago today was VERY special for me: I learned that the following day I would be delivering my first child!  Working in labor & delivery, I knew my doctors very well, so I knew that if they were suggesting inducing me, that I really was ready.
That night we went out for a Chinese dinner (what was I thinking??!!!)  It would be our last night as a "twosome", so we chose a special place.
   The next morning was VERY cold, the roads were icy, & we lived about 30 minutes from the hospital (on a clear day).  I was so glad that I wasn't in labor!  The drive was slow & a bit perilous, but once there it was a warm family atmosphere.  Those taking care of me were my coworkers & friends.  In an era where "daddies" were relegated to the waiting room when delivery time came, I had "pre-approval" for my dear hubby to see his first child being born.
  Having seen hundreds of deliveries (& actually doing a few myself), I knew I would get all teary when my baby was born.  Since I got teary at the miracle of new life even participating in the delivery of my patients, it was a given that I would at my own.  So I forewarned my doctors that would happen, & that they would be tears of joy.
  As I look back today over the years, those were just the first tears of joy that my daughter would bring.  She has been one of the greatest blessings of my life, & I am so thankful to God that He chose us to be her parents.  The journey we began thirty something years ago today (anticipating the next day) has been even greater than the great expectations I had of being a mom.

4 comments:

Kellie said...

That is precious. What a great memory! I know how many thirty-something years she'll be. lol :) Happy early birthday to her and Happy Memory to you all!

Joy for the Seasons said...

How precious! And very kind of you to not reveal her true age although I know she is just as *young* as me!

Janet said...

What special memories are stored up in the heart of a mother. Happy birthday to your daughter! Have fun celebrating tomorrow!

Gretchen said...

Thank you for giving me the gift of life, the privilege of being your daughter, and the joy in finding the beautiful in every day. You've been my cheerleader, confidant, counselor, partner in crime, travel buddy, mentor, mom and friend. Thank you for loving me completely from the moment I entered the world. I am blessed beyond measure because of you. I love you, Mom!