Friday, February 11, 2011

Here We Grow Again...

If you've been reading my blog for long, you know that I LOVE plants and flowers; and that winter is NOT my favorite season; and that I can hardly wait for spring (warm weather, getting my fingers in the soil, warm sunshine...)
But to enhance the wait for spring I like to plant some "indoor bloomers" to give me a taste of what's to come.
So on Jan. 21 I planted some hyacinth bulbs inside...
(Sorry for the poor quality of the photo...)

 And this is what they look like today...

Yes, that is a bloom peeking up from the top!

And like last year, I planted some Paper Whites, which grow so fast that I think you literally could stand there and watch them grow!

The blooms are about to "pop" on them so I'll have more pictures in a couple of days.


And the Amaryllis is on its second blooming now...  The stem is 15" and it's a good thing it is sturdy because it's going to have to support 4 big blooms!

So that's my tired of this stinkin' cold! "earlier-than-spring" garden for now...

5 comments:

Kellie said...

I've been waiting for this post!! I love seeing your flowers before spring! :)

Tracey said...

Lovely! I need to put this on my calendar for next year..I'm in need of some serious blooms!

BTW..have you thought about doing a blog post for those of us that have NO idea what to do in the yard, but would love to learn??? :D

Sandy said...

It's not too late to plant Paper Whites in the house. They literally grow in days!

Unknown said...

Oh! Tey are beautiful! I need to get me some of these! I think it would help me get through these last few weeks of winter without thinking I might go crazy without something beautiful, and green and new to look at!

Are these the same bulbs you planted last year? Or do you get new bulbs each year?

Unknown said...

Just read your comment to Tracy...where can I get Paper Whites?