I know that the last two days have been "just a taste" of Spring and that by mid week Winter will most likely make a return. But oh, how I've enjoyed being outside these two days! Most everything in the garden is brown and much of it needed to be pulled out in the late fall, but since Mr. Winter decided to make an early appearance and stay full time instead of taking a break now and then, it didn't happen.
Imagine my surprise when I found this bright spot of green growing beautifully...
Yep, they are both weeds! Why is it that those weeds can grow, prosper, and live even through the winter when nothing else does? Or why are the mosquitoes and flies and wasps out after just two days of warmth?!!!
It's kind of like life: the things we don't want (to do, to have, to experience, to endure..) are often plentiful, yet the things we want to grow in our lives (peace, patience, kindness, joy, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, long suffering, and self control*) take lots of cultivation.
I tried something this year I've never done... I brought a geranium in the house and have tried to keep it alive and healthy. My grandma in Indiana used to bring her geraniums into the detached garage that had a sunny window and set them there for the winter. They always survived, got bigger and more beautiful the next summer, and created a sweet memory for me. My grandpa did wood working in his garage and I loved to be out there with him when he was working on something. He was a man of few words but didn't seem to mind the magpie chattering away next to him...
But since I know this is just a reprieve from winter, I'll enjoy the Paper Whites while they last. They have a quick, short life but they are a nice little pick-me-up with lovely fragrance to hold me over till spring.
*Galatians 5:22




2 comments:
Loved your thoughts and your flowers. Can't wait to see your geraniums in bloom!
Excellent analogy about the weeds! You've also reminded me of sweet times spent with my grandma and grandpa.
(On a lighter note: my word verification is "suprabra." I hope I'm not the only one who got a giggle from that.)
Post a Comment