Friday, February 4, 2011

What's Yours?

Illustration of 3 red hearts: Jesus the King of Hearts
What do you get when you put 14 women of various ages together for an evening in a home setting with pretty Valentine decor at the table, candlelight, & lots of yummy desserts?  I imagine the answer could vary depending on the women... But these 14 are in Life Class together (that's the more "hip" name for Sunday School).  Some knew each other more than others, but this was our evening to get to know everyone better & just relax.
 Now the dynamics of this group is quite interesting: two are over 60 (yes, I'd be one of those); two are pregnant (and one of them will be having her baby on Monday!); one (who is not part of the 60 group) has grown sons; one has a newly adopted baby who is almost 3 months old (yes, she was able to leave him for the evening in the hands of his very adoring daddy) and another has a 3 month old baby; two had sick children at home (so they really were ready for an evening out); and all were ready for some "girl talk!"
  I loved the way everyone seemed to shift from one cluster to another throughout the evening, engaging with different gals.  And though we didn't seem to have trouble finding something to gab about, eventually we all sat in the same room for an "ice breaker".

There were three options as to what each one could share:
1) What do you miss about being a little girl.
 2) What's the most favorite pair of shoes you've ever had.
3) If you had plenty of time, what hobby would you like to try?  Some answers were sweet & poignant, some were funny (to the point that we were all rolling with laughter), and some were revealing about the "secret desires of the heart".  My daughter's was one that I'd have to tag along on... for a "hobby" she said she'd have Samantha Brown's job of travelling all over the world, staying at luxurious places, eating at fine restaurants, seeing all the beautiful scenery, and getting paid for it! (Uh, I think that's a job instead of a hobby, but like I said, I'd tagalong!)                                                

Since we only got to share one last night, I thought I'd share all three of mine today with you (time for bloggers block to stop!)
1) I miss being with my grandma who always made me feel loved, special, welcome, part of her household when I was there (as in, helping with chores that seemed much more fun at her house than at home; letting me help her cook/bake; knowing where everything was, etc.)  Although she never knew Christ and had no real interest in spiritual matters (though she went to church every Sunday and helped with every church function meal), she was my example of being a good grandma.
I have tried to make sure my grandchildren feel loved, special, welcome, and part of our household when they are here, while also trying to impart Christian principles and values to them to reinforce what they are getting at home.

2) My favorite pair of "shoes" was my marching boots when I was in high school.  They were heavy, clunky, and white, which meant that they had to be polished with white shoe polish every time I was ready to wear them.  But having them meant of was in the "Rhythmettes" which was really cool to be a part of.  We wore purple corduroy long sleeved, very short skirted outfits that had white bunny fur around the cuffs, skirt bottoms,  & collars.  We marched with the band at games and in parades, and did a "dance routine" (I use that phrase very loosely because it was nothing like the ones today, but more precision with lots of high kicks) using purple & white pompoms.  We also wore a little headband of the same materials as the outfit.  So putting on those white boots gave me a real sense of achievement in that I had made it!

3) The hobby part has nothing to do with lack of time but more of lack of "guts".  I think I would like to sky-dive, but so far I just don't have the guts to try it.  Maybe one of these days...

So now you know more about me than you ever wanted to know....
And I'm glad you came back in spite of my respite from blogging (which was totally unintentional.)

7 comments:

Kim said...

Such a fun evening! Much needed! We didn't get to chat but would love to share our recent travel adventures soon! PS love the boots! I spoke to my mom this morning & told her it was raining! Bling rainboots are on!

monicadvance said...

I had such a good time as well and loved having my house full of love and laughter. I can promise you that your grandchildren will have the best memories of time spent with you and Steve and most importantly they will definitely see the love of Christ in you guys. I, too, love the variety in our class!

Joy for the Seasons said...

Those boots just say 60's to me! Love them. And to this day chores are still more fun at someone else's house than they are at mine. I think it is because I leave that house and in my mind pretend it all stays neat and tidy. Whereas I know in a matter of 2 hours here it is all undone! ;)

Kellie said...

Those boots took me back to ninth grade and me being captain of the Flag Corps. We were hot. We were awesome. We only lasted a year. lol

Sounds like y'all had a great time! Those were great ice breakers!

Anonymous said...

you missed me when you saw Kay's new hair cut and this post has almost brought me to tears, I miss Life with or with out class with you too!

Anonymous said...

I love the boots!!! Amazing, the things we don't know about people...so great, so great, Sandy!

Amy said...

I too, love those boots! Sure wish I lived closer & could've joined you guys....sounds like a wonderful evening!!