Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Challenge Time

I read this in Titus 2:11 yesterday... (& it really got me thinking...)
"God's grace teaches me to say, 'No' to ungodliness & worldly passions, and to live a self-controlled, upright and godly life in this present age."
  Yikes!  When I ignore the Holy Spirit exposing ungodliness and worldly passions, I am saying, "No!" to God, flunking the course He is teaching.  As a true follower of Christ, I do not have that option!
  So, what are "ungodliness & worldly passions?"  Anything that draws my attention away from God and what He wants of me, to things that are perfectly acceptable in our culture. Wow, that covers a "multitude" of things!  If I am totally honest with myself, it includes pleasures that everyone else indulges in (so why not me, too?); excess in things I enjoy; my "rights" (though truly with Christ as my Savior, I have no rights...); pride & self-interest; "more" of everything (when is enough enough?); acceptance of morally corrupt ideology pouring out of the TV, movies, music, magazines, etc.; desire to "look good" to others & being unwilling to "stand out" as different (though we are called to be "a peculiar people"); oh, my, the list could go on & on.  But I think this is enough to begin with for me, & there certainly are some changes that need to be made!
  Can I do this?  NO, NO, NO!  Not on my own, that is.  Only by God's grace can I begin this process & see it to completion.  
 "Sound doctrine leads to behavior in accord with belief."  I have the doctrine... so where is the behavior?  I really am tired of being so like everyone else that no one notices that I am different, in a good way that would draw them to Christ.

Verse 14: "He gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Himself a people that are His very own, eager to do what is good."  Made me think, "Where is my eagerness to do good?"  Not to be a "goody two-shoes" but to do good for the benefit of others.

There is definitely some work to be done here...  Lord, change me!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Great post! Something i've been working on for the last year. Not as easy a task as I would hope.

Kellie said...

God's Word is so good to bring forward those things in which we need the most. Great thoughts today. I am so thankful for the Lord's continued guiding hand teaching me to be more like Him.

Anonymous said...

Amen and amen Sister!