Spending a day in Beaufort, SC, we "happened upon" a wonderful surprise;
These replicas of the Nina & Pinta were in harbor for a week long visit.
The masts were impressive even without the sails unfurled...
The hulls were clean as a whistle and made us realize how small these ships really were. "Columbus liked smaller ships because he could get them into smaller harbors & waterways," the guide told us. Each ship has a crew of about 6, most of whom are volunteers serving for a month or two usually. They have their quarters below (in Columbus' day, that area was a virtual "farm" holding goats, chickens, & a few horses. The goats were used for milk, until they quit giving milk: then they became "meat". The chickens were for eggs, until they quit giving eggs: then they became "meat." The horses were in slings so they wouldn't get hurt by the ship tossing. Imagine the stench down there!)
Amazing that we tend to think of these ships as colorful, but they were painted black.
What a treat it was to tour these pieces of history on such a beautiful day!
And there you have the "grand old ladies" in harbor, one of many stops along their journey up & down the east coast.






7 comments:
We toured something similar when we visited Jamestown. I can't imagine being holed up below for months on end.
SO neat! Love, love, love history. Great facts for me to remember!
Beautiful pictures, Sandy! It sure brings history to life: The good, the bad and the ugly. (Like you said - the smell. Can't even imagine.)
Look at that cute couple!
I'm glad I'm not a goat... I would have been "dead meat" a long time ago. :)
Sandy I'm so glad you decided to check out The Frugal Designer!! She really is AMAZING!! ;)
P.S. Thanks again for catching my error on fb!! That would not have been good if someone followed my steps and had it turn out bad!! ;)
Aww Sandy I just saw your comment you left on the post! Isn't that horrible?? I have to go talk to my daughter's teacher in the morning to make sure she knows I wasn't hinting at anything by the email!! ;) Thank God she's a woman- can you imagine how much worse this would be if she weren't!?! Thanks for the comment about Mr. Treasures too, he is a keeper! As for my Grandpa, If I could have figured out how to post the video I took of him- you would have SEEN just how spunky he is!! ;) Can't wait to see your yard!! And I say YES- rescue that furniture!! We'll figure out to make sure they're protected!! ;)
Ooh! We haven't yet made it to SC! But these pictures make me realize we need to venture out there!
Post a Comment