Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Love Ya!

How many times do you hear, "Make sure the last one your loved one hears from you is, ' I love you' because you don't know if you'll get the chance to say that to them again"?
That really resonated with me the first time I heard it, & I began to always say "Love ya" when finishing talking on the phone to my family members.  Now with grandchildren, we always say that when we part in person or on the phone, & they always say it too.
Most days in the summer, these are my swimming buddies.  I love to be in the water, but none of the other adults in my family do.  I have a great time with these kiddos that I love so much.  Since they live next door, we see each other rather frequently....
But the blessing is that when they go home, ALL of them say, "Love ya!" several times.  It almost gets funny to see how many times each of them will say it (& I respond with "Love you too!")  It's as if we won't see each other for months, & sometimes they will ask, "will we see you tomorrow?"
I recently started saying "love ya" at the end of every conversation with my soon-to-be daughter-in-love.  I think it may have been a little awkward for her at first, but she now always says it too.
Just think how many people never hear that phrase... It's not something to be taken lightly, to be reminded that we are loved by others.  It also reminds me that God says that to me many times a day, through the beauty of His creation that I can hear & see; through circumstances that He brings about; through specific answers to prayer; & through His Word ("I have loved you with an everlasting love."  WOW!!)
I just have to be careful that it doesn't become such a "habit" that I say it to others... like I almost said it at the end of a conversation with a service person who was making my appointment for him to come out to the house... well, I guess he would like to hear that he is loved, but maybe I need to start a new habit with those outside the family... like, "God loves you!"

6 comments:

Kellie said...

I LOVE that you say that. :) It is so important to hear, and you are right... you never know who has really experienced or heard those words.

Joy for the Seasons said...

I was just thinking about this the other day when my sister and I got off the phone with each other and both said "love you". My mind went back to just how many years we have been doing that with each other, as well as with our parents. So special!

Carpool Queen said...

Sweet post - I always make it a point to let the last words my boys hear at night from me is "I love you."

Gretchen said...

It's so nice to hear it, isn't it?
I'm glad we can say it freely and mean it around here.

Love you!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I agree. Saying I Love You, is something I tend to be heartfully generous about it too. I even tell my friends that I love them, because life is too short to not to... And how can I hold back the love the Lord has given to me? Its impossible! ;)

Angie said...

What a great post!! I feel the same way! God loves ya!! ;)