Why, "out to the ol' ballgame" of course!
Looking for something for the whole family to do together, earlier in the summer I bought tickets for everyone. They were for any Thur. night (which is family night), so we had narrowed it down to Aug. 5 or Aug. 12. We randomly chose Aug.12. Though it was one of the hottest days of the hottest summers on record for this area, do you know what Aug.5 was like? We had severe thunderstorms with lots of rain! Yes, we chose well.

Though the little face here looks a bit tentative, everyone had a great time. We went early enough to have "dinner" there. Before we left, Papa told me that he was going to let them get anything they wanted that was okay with Mommy & Daddy.
As soon as we got in, Daddy took off with his little buddy to buy him a hat. So the rest of us perused the options of dining fare. We (collectively) chose: Pulled pork sandwich, pulled chicken sandwich, pizza, popcorn, cotton candy, Icee's, water, Pepsi, lemonade, more water, more Icee's, more lemonade...
Do you see a pattern here? I don't think they sold much coffee last night...
I had taken a wet washcloth, wet it, rolled it up, put it in a ziploc bag, & frozen it for each of us. The big guy toughed it out (he works out in the heat every day), but the rest of us "thawed" them on our necks during the game. At times there was NO breeze at all & it was a bit stifling, but then a bit of a breeze would blow through & revive us.

But if we thought we were hot, think about this guy! Wooly Bull himself, adored by young fans (& older ones, too....)
When we first got to the stadium all three children commented on how nice it was & how clean it was, especially the bathrooms... yep, that's my grandkids!

As a new experience, there was a bit of apprehension about how long this would be, but as the game & all the extra activities that are included at a Durham Bulls game moved along, so did the time. On the way home this little gal said, "That was really fun! I'd like to do it again sometime."
It is a family "safe" venue where you don't have to worry about children being exposed to "inappropriate" things.
And I admire the fact that active duty military get in free!
We weren't the only crazy folks out last night: we were among more than 8100 others at the ballpark! And we sure made another memory!


7 comments:
We love going as a family to the Mudcats game (often with our church taking up a section) and it is SO MUCH fun. And HOT too! I am totally going to remember your wet, frozen wash cloth idea!!
What a great family memory. I am always so touched by the example you set of what a Grandparent is....Your family is so blessed to have you!
We keep meaning to go to one of these, but I'll admit, the heat keeps us away! You've inspired me to tough it out!
We went two or three years ago and it was a nice time as a family. Glad y'all had a great time in spite of that heat!!! :)
Love that ball park - We go every year, though I've learned my lesson that the earlier in the summer, the better.
Great call on the frozen washcloths - I'll have to remember that for next time.
Love the frozen washcloth idea! And I'm very impressed that 'G' went out in the heat. :)
It was such a fun evening ... even with the heat ;)
I was so thankful for my very prepared mother when the frozen washcloths came out!
Thanks for the family memory!!!
Post a Comment