Friday, August 27, 2010

Night Before: The Place

An outdoor party in August in NC is a risk...

But that's what the groom requested...



Sparkling lemonade, soft drinks, & bottled water kept everyone hydrated...

"Keep it really casual," he said, "and make some of those recipes I like."



A flag at the driveway let the guests know they were at the right place...


Well, I guess it was pretty obvious...


The welcome "mat" was out (the bags were lime green with a white palm tree on them.  I found them 2 months before on sale at Wally-world for $1 for 20 of them.  I truly thought they were luminary bags... & didn't realize until I was cleaning them up the next day that they were party gift bags...  Oh well, they served the purpose!)


So the colorful theme began with a new badly needed umbrella!



Enhanced by some decorative wire balls with tea light candles (provided by the groom who loves candlelight...)



and a new rug...



or two...



It was fun picking up bargains along the way, & I "waited out" the season, hoping they wouldn't be gone, to pick up 2 cushions that matched the umbrella.

As the evening wore on & darkness began to fall, everything took on a different look...



She must have been reading my mind when my decorator daughter laid out the candles on the diving board.  I had planned to do this, but ran short on time when she came along & asked what she could do.  "Just put out some candles & light them for me, please," I asked.



A full moon added to the ambiance...



And the "luminaries" really did illuminate the walkway.

Up next-
 Night Before: The People

7 comments:

Joy for the Seasons said...

So beautiful. Love the flag. It may have been simple and casual, but I know y'all worked very hard. It looks like it was totally worth it!

Suz said...

Thanks for sharing the festivities with us! It has been fun seeing all the pictures.

Carpool Queen said...

I'm with Suz - love the pics. Isn't it neat how a new patio umbrella and some new cushions make all the difference? I replaced mine this summer and have enjoyed them so much.

Gretchen said...

It all looked so colorful, fun and festive.
Great job, sweet mom!

Anonymous said...

oooh, i love knowing what's "up next" -- you've got me on the edge of my seat! isn't it fun to relive something so wonderful over & over again? lovin' every pic & details, so keep it all comin'!!
- TZ

Kellie said...

Wow! Just beautiful! You did a great job!

Angie said...

It looks beautiful!!!!! Such gorgeous photos! I'm going to have to "borrow" that candle light on the diving board idea- love it!