Monday, August 9, 2010

Not Me!

I have a new sort of favorite TV show: "Hoarding".  I know... that's sick.  But to use a favorite phrase of my hubby's, "It's like maggots in a garbage can.. you can't stand to look at them, & you can't stand not to."  I can't believe people live like that, & many of them are so unsanitary it makes my skin crawl.  But like the maggots, I still watch it.

The fascination borders on "uneasiness" for me, because I AM a pack rat.  I tend to "put things away" & forget I have them, or certainly never find a need for them.  Of course, as soon as I get rid of something or throw it away, I do need it (especially PAPERS!)

I've wanted to "clean out" for months, but it was either too hot or too cold to get into the attics (yes, I have 2 attics!)  Then I was unable to do it because of hand surgery that took months to heal.  So for the last few days, I've been tearing into it!  I go into the attic for as long as I can stand, then back out into closets & storage areas to clean out from there.  Soon as I get cooled off, back into the attic I go.  I've made several trips to the Goodwill (probably could have made $1000 by now with a yard sale, but I'd rather give it to someone who needs it that deal with the hassle.)  Our trash pick up guys probably think another family is living with us from all the trash I've been putting out.  But it is such a good feeling to remove it all!  I figured better now than my kids having to do it after I'm gone...

And in case you watch "Hoarders" (or whatever it's called), I will NOT be on there!  Not me!!

6 comments:

Joy for the Seasons said...

I can't help but watch it sometimes, too!

Carpool Queen said...

I love Hoarders. It's a train wreck, but a fascinating one, nonetheless.

Kellie said...

I honestly don't think I have ever seen it but I have seen something like it. I love shows like that because it helps me see I am not as bad as I originally thought. lol Actually... I feel bad for those people stuck under all that stuff!

Gretchen said...

I'm so proud of you, mom!

Angie said...

HA!!! Your right it's a guilty pleasure in our household too. I'm fascinated that someone lives like that. I mean i've got my "junk" too but come on!! Which reminds me, I do have a few piles calling my name! ;)

Unknown said...

My house has been cleaned from top to bottom in the last two weeks...in part because of that show!

Well, that's not entirely true...Every two years for the last 6 years we have moved. This month marks two years since the last move...I was thinking about how I dispise moving but the good part is that we don't accumulate to many 'Things" because I don't want the hassle of moving!

THen I watched an episode of hoarders and thought, "Ack!!! We aren't moving this year! I cannot let the clutter reign!"

;)