Friday, April 22, 2011

A Hero's Welcome

The crowds began to gather and the band (Raleigh Concert Band) began to play...

The 82nd Airborne from Ft. Bragg warmed up the crowd with their amazing voices (singing, that is) & entertained with songs from bygone days...


The people were ready to give their "cheers" and clapping and whistles and "whoo-hoos" as loud as they could...

Then the Honor Guard led in, followed by bagpipes and drum...

And with flags wildly waving, the veterans of WW II were welcomed back from their one day trip to DC to visit the memorials for veterans.  Though the picture is blurry (due to all the activity of the flags..) take a close look at those in wheel chairs or walking with the aid of a can/walker: they are the ones who survived "the war to end all wars..."  All would be at least 80 or older by now, all would have many stories to tell (though most probably have shared very few in all these years), and I think all of them had a great day.
One family brought their West Point cadet to welcome back his great-grandfather!

And I had the privilege to speak briefly with this veteran as he passed by:  I would guess he might have been the oldest one there, but he seemed genuinely moved by my gratitude to him for his service.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

What a wonderful experience. I hope I can attend the next one!

Kellie said...

Those flights are so wonderful. My class was able to do cards for some of the veterans in the flight a couple of weeks ago. Next week one of those vets will be coming to my classroom to talk with my students. I am so glad those men/women are able to have these moments of honor that they deserve!