Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Returning...Again!

Okay, so I've been "missing" again... but this time it wasn't from illness.  I'm on spring break!
Yeah, I know, I'm not in school... and I don't have kids in school.... but when my grands take spring break, it's usually with me!  In the mountains!  And this year is no different!
Spring here is about 2 weeks behind the flatlands...

But I am getting to see the ornamental cherry tree blooming (it usually blooms a little in Nov., then a little in Jan., then puts on its full bloom in April... strange little tree.)

Check out this Carolina Blue sky!  (Not the team... the State!)

I tried to take a "close up" of the beautiful little blossoms, but I think I got a little too close...

So with permission, I give you a better look borrowed from my friend (http://skwmjustme.blogspot.com) who takes beautiful pictures.  And though her tree is not here, it is the same type.  If you haven't visited her blog before, be sure you do so!  She has wonderful pictures & her DAILY (I mean, she never misses a day!) blog is so inspirational!

The other ornamental blooming tree we have is a peach tree.  This little tree has looked like "death" more than once & I've given up on it several times, thinking I'd just cut it down.  But it keeps coming to life again...

And its blooms are absolutely gorgeous!!  (There's that beautiful blue sky again!)

They are so delicate, intense in color, and really packed on the branches.  The blooms from both of these trees are really short-lived and start blowing off almost as soon as they bloom.   They both also leave a windblown trail of petals, making it look like snow on the ground.  Late this afternoon we had a very fine rain/sleet coming down sideways, and snow isn't unusual up here in April...  But we are hoping for nice weather for the rest of the week!

But after another dinner of "comfort food" (fried chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli, salad, & tea... ALL fresh and homemade) I find myself starting to fade.  So I'll share some more of the springtime-in-the-mountains tomorrow...

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Awww... you are so kind to say what you said! :) I am so happy I could give you a view of the blooms up close. I would have loved to have had my camera up there! :) Enjoy the time you have with family!!!

Gretchen said...

Thanks for making our spring break a true "break" for me. It's been wonderful!!

Kimberly said...

So glad that you are back and that you are enjoying the grans and mountains.
Don't stay away too long...I need my NC fix!!
Love to you all!