Friday, April 29, 2011

Survival of the Fittest

When spring rolls around, I'm ready to get plants out of the house and back into their natural environment.  Some winter-over well, some suffer, some won't even make it.  But it's fun to see what might work, so this fall I brought a healthy geranium into our sunroom to see if I could get it to survive the winter.
It not only survived, but it flourished & even bloomed a couple of times.  Now it's so big that I'm not sure where to plant it!  (The green container that it sits in is 20" x 13" x 10" deep).

The palm is not doing great, but I think it will come out of it, especially after the fresh rains of spring.

Four of these trees are not going to make it... They have developed a disease that is affecting Leland Cypress trees all over town.  It makes me sad that they will have to come down after growing so tall & creating such a nice buffer.  For now we'll just pretend that it's autumn & they are changing colors...

This also didn't make it....
It succumbed to the strong winds that accompanied the tornadoes that struck NC on April 16.  This is the second one of these that has been destroyed after just a couple of years of enjoyment...

At least we have many nice memories of it.... and compared to what so many lost from the storms, it is so minimal.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I can't believe how healthy that geranium looks! We live in Florida and I can barely keep my geraniums alive over the winter!