Friday, November 20, 2009

Extreme "Growth"

I didn't know what else to call this other than a "growth".... It was "growing" on a log in the woods & was one of the most unique things I've ever seen. The intricacies of it were amazing. When we probed it with a stick (who was going to actually touch it?!), it was soft, yet clung tenaciously to the log.
Surely there is someone out there who is a botanist or biologist or nature lover who could identify it....
But it reminded me somewhat of a sea creature of some sort, yet here it was growing in the woods. Of course, "inquiring minds want to know"... how long has it been growing to get to this size? how much bigger could it get? will it die after a heavy frost? is it poisonous?
Anyway, hope this has made your day a little more interesting!

5 comments:

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yea, Sandy - welcome to this crazy blogging world (although you probably felt like you've been here for awhile). :)
So thrilled that you are going to capture a bit of your memoirs for all to see.
blessings,
Jen

P.S. It may be my computer, but your banner isn't showing up...just the html. have someone else check on their computer.

Kellie said...

Hmmm... I wonder if it is a type of mushroom or other fungus? Very interesting, indeed!! (I'll have to tell my brother to read this and see if he knows what it is.)

Gretchen said...

Now we know where Santa gets his beard!

Gretchen said...

I told the kids that it was edible and the first response was Eeewww. The second response was, "well if we are ever lost in the woods, we could have that for a snack." From the feel of that stuff, I would have to be mighty hungry to eat it for a snack.

The Buntens said...

That is so incredibly cool! I wonder what it is. I remember being on a walk with my hubby in the mountains this spring. We say these fungi growing and they were fluorescent orange. It was incredible. God is the creator of fluorescent orange, too!!!