Monday, November 16, 2009

Weekend Guests

Let me just say that I like dogs (not so much a cat person, plus I am allergic to them). We have had dogs throughout our lives: mostly dachshunds but also a yellow lab. I purposely stay away from pet stores & have told my adult children, "Do NOT get me a dog for a gift, even if I say I want one." That's because we are in the "footloose & fancy free" stage of life - hubby is retired so we can take off on a whim. As much as I enjoy them, I like the freedom of being "petless". Also, we have a "granddog" next door who wiggles himself silly when he sees me, so I can get my doggy fix easily.
Now the stage is set: enter our two weekend guests. Gus (the boxer) has been here many times since he comes with his owner for every visit... & anytime I can get his owner here is a great time, since that would be my son. Gus was a very hyper, "unbalanced" (as the Dog Whisperer would say), energetic, undisciplined dog until this summer. That's when he met Gordy (the vizla) whose owner is my son's girlfriend. When she moved to town & met Gus, she decided they both needed some "schooling". Since my son was gone most of the summer, N. took over the training & the results were absolutely amazing! When we saw Gus this fall for the first time, we couldn't believe he was the same dog. Now both dogs respond to commands, stay on "place" when told to (most of the time), & actually walk on leashes without it feeling like they are going to pull you into the next county.
So overall, their weekend visit went quite well. Of course, add into the mix 3 extra adults & 3 extra children... & it was comical chaos at times. But... the Waltons just had more kids & fewer dogs & look what a long run they had!

6 comments:

Tracey said...

What sweet dogs! Did they get any of your delicious cookies??

I can't imagine what the footloose time of life will be like. I hope mine is as fun as yours seems to be!

really.truly said...

I wanted to thank you for your encouraging note about living in the country! You are so blessed to live so close to your grandchildren. You are so right....I love that we can be as loud as we want! Such a great benefit to large land living :)

Now we need a dog :)

Learning as we Live said...

Gus looks like he's smiling! So happy to be at Mimi's house :)

Unknown said...

I need your son's girlfriend to come whipser to my dog. She's a sweet dog, but "unbalanced" for sure!

Gretchen said...

Comical chaos? Oh, I thought it was just a normal day. :)

Sandy said...

And just WHAT is normal?!!!!!