Saturday, November 21, 2009

Recipe Round-up

Why do we think pumpkin pie, apple pie, gingerbread, eggnog, cranberry relish, chili, etc. are only/mostly foods for the fall/winter season? Questions such as this pop into my mind as I am bored after 3 days in the bed/on the sofa sniffling & coughing, & tonight missing a wedding to which I had SO looked forward.

After reading CPQ's fiasco with a Martha Stewart recipe, I was reminded of the consistency & dependability of the recipes in this cookbook: a gift for our wedding in 1967. I've never had one fail, have some that are standbys repeated many times through the years, & have some I've never tried. The cranberry relish is one I use every Thanksgiving & Christmas, & sometimes at Easter. Why not other times, especially when cranberries are in season? Who knows?!
It also seems that some of us tend to start scrounging for new recipes about this time of year, looking for something different for a cookie exchange or to give to the neighbors as a gift or to take to someone for a meal... I too love to do this, but in case any of my neighbors are reading this.... I'm not doing any old or new recipes this year (more to follow...)

Out of my very ancient recipe book comes this favorite of my daughter's: FLAN. I have never had flan in a restaurant that was any better & most don't even begin to measure up. It is so easy & so delicious, & it is in the section of "Mexican" food in the cookbook (not "Hispanic"... it was written in the '60's!) Don't you just love the little pictures?! If you'd really like to try this, leave me a comment & I'll send you the recipe (a little hard to read here).
The center binding is completely gone from this book & some pages have stains. My DH tried to replace it a few years ago with the "same" cookbook... only it was updated so it didn't have the same recipes. I eventually sold it in a yard sale. Kind of like some other things in life: we think a newer, better version would be better, but in reality what we already have is the best. Enough on the philosophical...

3 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Sorry you're under the weather. Everyone's hoping you're up and running in time for the cookie exchange so that Steve doesn't bring slice and bakes (have him tell you about the discussion this morning - it got a lot of laughs).

My favorite cookbook was also a wedding gift. Some pages are so stained you can barely read the recipe. That's how I know it's a good one.

Gretchen said...

If I leave 2 comments can I get the real thing?
I love the recipes from that cookbook. A lifetime of delicious goodness from my momma's kitchen (well, except for the cranberry relish... I'll leave that for the rest of the family to enjoy).

Sandy said...

Yes, you COULD HAVE, but since you didn't....