Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Spiffy Little Gadget

I love to walk through hardware stores, very slowly...
And I like kitchen gadgets, but only those that I really will use...
But I went looking for this little gadget (sorry, I can't remember where I found it...)  I had a specific purpose in mind for it...


Now I am NOT a cleaning fanatic by any means...
But there is one spot that gets really gross & it's one that is not obvious... the drain in the shower.  I could see black mold in there, but I was afraid to use an old toothbrush in there for fear I would drop it.  This brush is perfect because the handle keeps it from falling into the drain.  I spray a bleach cleaner into the drain first, trying to get the sides of the drain.  Then I leave it on for a few minutes, & then I go to scrubbing with this little brush.  It is  9" long (plus the handle), so that's how deep it can go.  The black "gunk" that comes out is so disgusting that I have a folded paper towel sitting nearby upon which to deposit it.  But I'd rather have it there to throw away than in the drain under my feet!

After I finish, I use this brush to scrub the drain cover on the underside, then use it to clean out the white brush, running both of them under very hot water.


The last step is to soak both of them in bleach... until the next time I see mold in the drain.
Wasn't this an uplifting post?  Well, at least maybe it will spur you to look under your shower drain....

9 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

If I cleaned, I might get one of those :)

Joy for the Seasons said...

Gotta love a go-to gadget!

Rachel Cox said...

That is a really gross spot to clean, and always intimidating to do so! Thanks for the tip!! =)

O Mom said...

I will be looking for that. I use a baby bottle nipple brush for our drain but it really is too small, yours would be perfect.

Amy said...

You're very thorough! I had no idea that there was a specific brush for that.

Tracey said...

I'll be sure to let the hubby know.

After I turned 40, I asked him (very nicely) if he would take over the shower cleaning for like, um I don't know..forever.

He agreed. Yay!

Anonymous said...

Another way to clean that nasty spot without getting messy is this:

Place a rubber gripper (the thing you use to get the pickle jar lid off) over the drain. Run the shower until there is about 1" of water standing in the floor. Add a pint/quart of bleach to the water and give it about an hour. It will slowly "leak" past the rubber stopper, killing all the black mold. I like this method b/c it also gets it clean all the way down the drain.

Sandy said...

A daughter teaches a mother... I knew you said this was a good way to clean the shower floor, but didn't realize it also cleans the drain!

Suz said...

The shower drain is the worst!!! My sweet hubby takes on the responsibility of unclogging it due to my hair. What a guy! I will have to give this a try. Yuk!