Monday, February 22, 2010

Thank You, Mr. Washington



When I was growing up Feb.12 was a school holiday: it was Abraham Lincoln's birthday.  And Feb. 22 was a school holiday: it was George Washington's birthday.  We were taught a deep love of country & a strong sense of patriotism, sang patriotic songs, & said the pledge of allegiance to the flag every day. Of course, we also began the day with a short prayer... in all the public schools.  But then we weren't very diversified & we definitely were not politically correct...
However, today I just want to say, "Thank you, Mr. Washington, and Happy Birthday."

5 comments:

Tracey said...

K2's history lesson last week was about George Washington becoming Commander of the Continental Army. (his history this year covers from the explorers to 1815..so loads of information on the Revolutionary War.)

Mr. Washington was a fabulous leader, husband, and citizen. Thank you for the reminder!

p.s. So appreciated your Ipod music comment on FB. Your wisdom is needed there and in the blog world. Thanks for being willing to share! Hugs.

The Buntens said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to our Mr. Washington!

Joy for the Seasons said...

Love this.

Kellie said...

Here, here! Happy Birthday, President Washington! I do love teaching my students and my kiddos the value of our forefathers. More children today need to be exposed to the reality of how our country began!

Gretchen said...

Is March white history month???
I can't remember which month we get to focus on all of the wonderful accomplishments of the heros of history like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin REGARDLESS of their skin color.

I'm not feeling very pc today...