Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Couch History

I'm "linking up" today for a fun post.  It started with "adventures in babywearing", & I picked up on it from "jewels in my crown... someday".
  My most memorable couch would be... actually 2 of them.  When we married, we were 20 years old & both being students, were very poor.  We rented a 3 room house (NOT 3 BEDroom, but 3 ROOM) house in the country that was heated by a space heater.  It was furnished & was exactly the way it was when the 90 year old lady who had lived there left it when she had died 6 months earlier.  The sofa (yes, this was a sofa, not a couch) was a scratchy horsehair-type fabric, had a hard back on it, & had a piece of plywood under the cushions because they sagged so badly.  We didn't do much sitting on that sofa during the 6 months we lived there.
   A few rentals later we bought "THE" couch: it had big blue flowers, some green, & an off-white background.  I don't have pictures because that was so long ago.  But it was brand new & we paid CASH for it, as we did everything in our early marriage... if we didn't have the cash, we didn't buy the item.  We saved until we could buy it.  It made several moves with us, was in all the background pictures of our first precious baby (born 5 years after we were married), & held up for a long time.  The funny thing is, I don't remember what happened to it (sold it? gave it to someone who needed it? just don't know).  But I have many happy memories of that lovely couch: snuggling with my honey on it (making out...), playing with my baby on it, stretched out on it when I was so sick with strep throat that I didn't know if I would make it through the night, & making it fit wherever we moved.
  We've been through many couches since then but it still holds a special place in my memory.

4 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I had an old ugly couch that was a three time hand me down that I in turn handed down again.

What a great piece of furniture, but, man, it stunk!

Gretchen said...

You gave it to the youth group at Faith in R.H.
Too bad you didn't hold onto it. It would be so retro cool now!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

So funny what your mind chooses to remember! And even funnier when others can fill you in on what you forget! :)

Steph

The Buntens said...

I loved this exercise! It was so fun to think over my life in "couches".