Friday, March 5, 2010

A "Taste" of Austria

After watching a travel video on Austria a couple of nights ago, we got the urge to try one of the desserts they made (yes, I did say, "we"!  Now that DH has tried his hand at a little cooking, he is ready to venture a little farther with my help!)


  It looked SO easy, but I went to my computer to get some idea of proportions & baking time.  Then, as usual, I added/subtracted some ingredients to make the recipe unique.  And it WAS easy!  So from Austria/NC here it is:


Apple Strudel


16 oz. package phyllo dough (divided into 2 portions)
5-6 apples, cored, peeled, & diced
1 cup raisins, soaked several hours or overnight in 1/2 c. rum
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. melted butter/margerine
1/4 c. milk
1 egg


 Mix apples, brown sugar, and raisins and let it set. 
 Meanwhile, place each pile of phyllo on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper. Brush every 2 layers of phyllo with melted butter. (May need more butter)Spoon half of apple mixture on each phyllo, from longest end to longest end.  Then roll each one around apple mixture into a long tube.  Seal ends as much as possible.
  Brush with milk & egg mixture.  Bake @ 400 for 30 minutes.
Cool or serve warm.


(Before going in the oven....)


(After cutting the first piece....)




The scrumptious result.... served on my finest china....!)
P.S. Make sure your phyllo dough is fresh... after tasting this, I scraped out some of the filling (which was really good) & threw the rest in the trash because the pastry part tasted SO old! I looked all over the box before using it & couldn't find a date, but since I couldn't remember buying it... I have a feeling it was way past its prime.

3 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I think I have all the ingredients for this - I may have to substitute cranberries for raisins, though. I just cannot get my boys to eat them (though sometimes I grind them into a paste before using so I get the flavor and they can't recognize what it is).

O Mom said...

Yum! And love your China!

Gretchen said...

Waiting for my phone to ring...