Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Two Weeks of Thrills!



Canada - English



A beautiful setting for a unique international "get-together".


Scenes from Day 4 of the XXI Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. ©IOC/Richard Juilliart

These are two of my favorite weeks every four years... the Winter Olympics.  I determined not to stay up so late every night since, for the first time ever, we could DVR the whole evening.  But nearly every night found us still watching at midnight!  Now I can go back & watch some of my favorites over again.


Scenes from the XXI Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver. ©Kishimoto
The amount of practice & discipline that goes into every sport is amazing!
Scenes from the XXI Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver. ©Getty
I loved the variety of events they aired this year, interspersed with just enough "human interest" to actually be interesting.
Scenes from the XXI Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver. ©IOC/R. Juilliart
My favorite has always been the figure skating (dreamed of being a skater when I was growing up, skating on frozen ponds in Indiana...)  And this year was enigmatic!  Such beauty & skill combined, performances that were unique, & costuming that was dazzling.

Thank you, Canada, for being such wonderful hosts!  And I'm proud of your athletes that KNEW & sang your beautiful national anthem!
Scenes from the Vancouver 2010 Opening Ceremony. ©IOC/John Huet

When we went to Vancouver a couple of years ago, we found it to be our favorite mega city we had ever visited!
Located on the city’s downtown waterfront, the Main Media Centre (MMC) will house the Main Press Centre (MPC) and the International Broadcast Centre (IBC). The MPC houses the workspace for the approximately 2,800 accredited members of the written and photographic press. The IBC will provide workspace for some 7,000 accredited broadcasters and technicians who will produce live television and radio coverage of the 2010 Winter Games. © IOC/R. Juilliart

Watching the American athletes & their attitudes was very rewarding...
makes me proud to be an American!
Scenes from Day 1 of the XXI Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. ©IOC/John Huet

Only four more years until we "meet" again!


2 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

Vancouver/BC is on my "To Visit" list. It looks amazing -

Gretchen said...

CPQ should go to Vancouver. For it IS amazing. And it's fairly close to moi, which is even better. I didn't get to watch the games as much as I wanted to, but enjoyed them all the same. We have so many Canadians at my church, and just around Seattle in general...I kinda felt like it was even closer than the 160 mile distance.