Monday, October 11, 2010

Hidden Surprise...

See anything unusual about this beautiful bloomer...?
Look more closely...

Ooooh, there's something moving...

Some"one" is preying... (glad I didn't put my hand in there without looking!)

Last summer I had a very green praying mantis in my garden...

and one that was green with a good bit of brown...
But I realize they seem to change color to blend with their surroundings.
Last week this one showed up, not exactly blending in with the green but acting as part of the stem.

Then a few days later this fellow showed up on the sidewalk... near the brown mulch.
I'm not one for insects/bugs/bees/etc. but these have been interesting.  I know they eat the "bad bugs" in a garden, so I'm always glad to see one.







5 comments:

Janet said...

the kids and I are SO excited when we discover one of those! So neat that you got so many pictures of one!

Joy for the Seasons said...

Although they always startle me at first, I do enjoy watching them too!

Gretchen said...

Isn't it funny that those seem so neat, when really they are kinda gross? Must be the "holy" name. ;)

Unknown said...

Yikes! My kids would love those! And I guess I would love them if it was summer and I needed some bugs eaten out of my Garden....but I have to say, they make me a little "skeered"!

Kellie said...

Those things are interesting indeed... caught one with Wesley a few weeks ago. It. Was. Big. He was scary, too. If I were an insect, I'd definitely run away.