Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Career Change?


I had a totally new experience today: I was in a "real" photo shoot. I'm talking 8 AM till 5 PM (with catered breakfast/snacks & lunch). There were words used frequently like "action" & "cut."
There were big pieces of equipment, & cords running everywhere, & people everywhere, & lots of waiting for the next "take."
It gave me a new appreciation for what goes into aTV commercial

Several scenes were shot in a kitchen, & each item on the counter had to be arranged & rearranged. The lighting had to be just right, & big white screens on tall tripods combined with lots of natural light gave the desired effect.

Mid afternoon we even changed "shoot locations", from a home setting to the airport. With a cast of 4, we chatted in an impromptu way, having the same conversation each time we did another take.
All of the filming crew were so nice & so professional; make-up artist, photographers, cinematographers, creative director, director of photography, producer, grips, etc. These were real professionals! And they were working with four amateurs... But they were so patient & so helpful. They all donated their time & talent for this full day of filming.

The shoot was for a public service announcement for the USO. Each year this group chooses a "cause/charity" for which they donate a full day of shooting to create a PSA. This time it was the USO. They will create different segments (15 second, 30 second, 60 second) & an ad (shot with stills) for publications.

It was fun & a neat learning opportunity. I'm thankful to have been a part of it. Am I ready to start a new career?.... Probably not.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh you just made me miss my marketing days! the whole production sounded like so much FUN. i know it's a ton of work, but it's just so fun!
glad you got to take part in a new experience. may i have your autograph? ;)
- TZ

Joy for the Seasons said...

What fun for a day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my good friend is a moovie starr! I know you had fun because you have fun wherever you are! What a wonderful service. Hope to see some of these ads. dixie

Janet said...

That sounds like SO much fun!! What a full day! I hope I get to see these!!

Robin said...

That is SO cool!
How funny - my security word for this comment is: "actin" - southern way of saying what you did today!

Kellie said...

That sounds great! Now, will they be showing on TV around here? If so I need your autograph , ma'am.... :)

Suz said...

Can I have your autograph?

Gretchen said...

Get in line, people, I'm her new manager

Anonymous said...

If the finished product is available for viewing you have to let us know!

You know I'm a big fan of the USO!!

Unknown said...

So fun! Can't wait to see the final pictures!