All the excitement leading up to Christmas is fun, especially through the eyes of children. We found this year that as children get bigger, so do their gifts... especially since 2 got scooters & 1 got a Big Wheel (& even some of the adults got big sized gifts, like a putter...). What a joy it was to watch 6, 8 1/2, & 10 1/2 year olds not only get excited about their own gifts, but also about their sibling's gifts & the gifts they were giving (most of which they had made).
After it was all over, the tree was still green with branches standing up (since we cut it the day after Thanksgiving, we know it is really fresh). So this year we will go back to one of my family-of-origin traditions & leave it up until New Year's Day. I still enjoy sitting in my chair next to the tree in the mornings to have my quiet time with the Lord.
At least we won't follow a tradition that a long-ago friend had: she left her tree up until Valentine's Day! Yes, it WAS an artificial tree...
6 comments:
I have really enjoyed my tree and decorations this year too, so mine is still up--though aritificial it was a new one this year and so much prettier, but today it goes back into storage--betweef football games. May you and yours have a year filled with daily seeing the faithfulness, love and grace of our Lord Jesus. Dixie
It's funny how it feels "just right" to keep the tree up until this weekend, but I really can't imagine keeping it up til Valentine's Day. Happy New Year to you and Steve!
Our came down today too. Sniff, sniff.
Have you ever heard of 'old Christmas'? My grandmother would leave her tree up until 'old Christmas'. I think it was either Jan. 6 or Jan. 15 - I'll have to check with my mom. I love to leave my tree up until New Year's Day as well. Though we had a little tree this year - it didn't get put away until today! Hugs to you friend!
My house seems very very bare and dark tonight. I realized it's because we never turned the lights off the entire time the tree was up. I just love the twinkles....
Sad to see Christmas over. There were even a few tears from the tender hearted girl in our house. I felt the same.
Also, I read your post about the Christmas cards. Tell your hubby that trimming cards is almost "scrapbooking". Baking, scrapbooking, decorating. What next? Just kidding.
Hope to see you soon.
Post a Comment